11.18.2007

First and Last College Interview, Ever.

For undergraduate studies, anyways.

So my interview was scheduled for 2 o'clock PM at the San Jose Courtyard Marriott yesterday. I woke up around 9AM to google "college interviews", "what to wear to college interviews", and the sort. I picked out my clothes, which ended up looking casual, but with that sophisticated look, y'know? Anyways. So I had to wait until about 2:15 to be interviewed because my interviewer was running a bit late, but that was ok. He had been interviewing since 9AM that day, and I was his last interview.

Save the best for last, right? Of course.

I was somewhat nervous for this interview not because I feared I would run out of things to talk about, but rather, that I would have wayy too much to say. And when I have too much to say, my words begin to collideintoeachotherlikesoandyoucan'treallytellwhatI'msayinganymore. But actually, my interview went pretty well. In fact, I actually had fun. (Weird?)

So I was totally expecting one of those random questions like "If you were an animal, what would you be?" or "If you were a fruit, what would you be?" I was totally ready to answer them. Instead, I got questions like, "When you're managing a team, how do you resolve problems?", "If you were given a free Saturday (and you weren't allowed to go to a Robotics competition!), how would you spend this free day?", and the typical 4 words to describe you. I loved answering these questions, probably because I was allowed to talk freely about myself and my accomplishments without feeling overly conceited, haha.

And then when he was running out of questions, he all of a sudden took a breath, looked at me, and asked, "Wow.. where you you find all of your confidence?" Hm. How am I supposed to take that? Am I not supposed to be overly confident in what I've done because it's not that great, or is he really admiring me? Contemplating on this for a nanosecond, I decided to go with the latter interpretation. Who knows, maybe I actually impressed him :)

Well, yes. I just wanted to document this interview down before I forget it in a couple of days.

Btw, I JUST got an email from my interviewer:

"I enjoyed meeting you and wish you the best in the admission process. You did a good job.
D. Murdoch"

Sweeeeet :)